About the job
The International Cricket Council (‘ICC’) is the global governing body for the sport, which administers all aspects of international cricket. We are currently looking for an Umpire Coach, who will be based in their home country.
The role will report to the ICC’s Manager – Umpire Coaches and will be responsible for the high-performance management, and coaching of designated Match Officials in their region and while officials are on assignment. The role will work with designated home boards on the development of training and talent identification strategies for the top emerging domestic match officials in their regions.
The successful high-performance management of ICC Panel Match Officials by the Umpire Coach will be measured by the following key accountabilities:
1. Develop and implement high performance programmes and plans for each of the designated ICC Match Officials:
- Work effectively with E&I umpires to develop, implement, and monitor annual plans (quarterly), which may include short and medium-term objectives.
- Regular communication with each assigned match official
- Complete pre-series and/or pre-match preparation processes with each match official assigned and assist visiting match officials.
- Assist and support match officials in any capacity that will contribute to optimal performance of the match official , including assistance when attending specified matches and outside match/training times.
2. Conduct performance coaching review and reporting
- Assist in compiling half-yearly reviews for each designated match official with Umpires & Referees Manager.
- Attend specified International Matches to observe and provide coaching observations and share with ICC Umpire Coaches.
- Receive match by match self-assessments from match officials and reply accordingly as part of the coaching and development process.
- Conduct post-match/series review with match officials.
- Report on the visiting match officials to their specific coach regarding their performance during the series observed.
- Use reports and information to analyse trends and facilitate a continual improvement process with the match officials.
3. High performance training and development for match officials
- Provide directly or assist in coordinating any training or professional development for the officials (and including top domestic (TD) officials) where required by ICC, including TV umpire and 4th umpire training.
- Ensure that each match official is fully versed with the Laws, playing conditions, interpretations, and ensure that changes are fully briefed – and work with home boards with TD officials to ensure same.
- With other Match Official Coaches plan activities, strategies, and new ideas for training.
- Assist in the development of regular ICC match officials training modules.
- Meet with the relevant board umpire manager at least every three months from within the Coach’s region or assigned Boards, to develop and monitor strategic plans for the up-skilling and development of the emerging international match officials identified from the top domestic officials and share minutes with the Umpire &Referees Manager and other Coaches.
- Attend and contribute to the match officials workshops for the ICC Elite panel and the regional and home board workshops and provide training presentations/workshops as directed.
- Assist in the development of identified ICC Development Panel umpires as directed by the ICC with the ICC Regional offices or at ICC events.
- Complete personal annual plan and review quarterly with Manager – Umpire Coaches.
- Submit weekly updates to Umpire Coaches.
- Communicate regularly (including fortnightly skype) with other umpire coaches as to activities, strategies, and new ideas.
- Attendance and assistance with ICC match officials workshops for the Elite Umpires and the home boards.
- Management of administration of affairs including filing, reporting, personal travel and accommodation arrangements, and expense processing as required by ICC.
Knowledge, Skills, Attitude and Experience
- A skilled, successful high-performance sports/official coach.
- Successful application of coaching and mentoring skills and the ability to tailor make individual professional development plans.
- Proven ability to motivate, stimulate, and inspire match officials.
- An understanding and empathy of the unique requirements of match officials in international sport.
- The ability to successfully establish, maintain, and develop professional relationships in an international context.
- Cross cultural, international, experience.
- Demonstrated self-management and organisational abilities.
- High level Interpersonal skills.
- Ability in successfully establishing relationships underpinned with discretion and confidentiality
- Successful umpiring or high-performance coaching experience (including in other sports) at national, or international level, a distinct advantage.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English language including reports and business writing skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office
Conditions of Employment
- The role is based in your home country.
- The selected candidate will be required to provide two recent work references: and
- The compensation offered will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.