International Cricket Council
Dubai, United Arab Emirates (On-site)
Posted: 30 January 2023
Link to Apply: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3456321063/
About the job
The International Cricket Council (‘ICC’) is the global governing body for the sport, which administers all aspects of international cricket.
We are currently looking for a dynamic individual for the role of Manager – Umpires & Referees to join our Cricket Operations team based at the ICC headquarters in Dubai, UAE, the role will report to General Manager – Cricket and be responsible for all aspects of the ICC Match Officials programme.
The ideal candidate will have and can demonstrate at least 3+ years working in at least a senior managerial role in sports administration. Experience in leading and working with match officials within sport is desirable. The ideal candidate will have an understanding and strong interest in cricket. Most importantly, our ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, including excellent communication and engagement skills, and will be an outstanding administrator. The ICC offers a competitive salary and an opportunity to work with an outstanding internal team and the game’s stakeholders.
Responsibilities of the Manager Umpires & Referees include but are not limited to the following:
- Administer the selection process for the appointment of umpires to the elite, international and associates panels and for appointment to ICC events (includes servicing of Umpires Selection Panel).
- Oversee the appointment processes of umpires to matches.
- Oversee in conjunction with the Umpire Coach Manager, the assessment and feedback processes on the performances of umpires.
- Oversee in conjunction with the Umpire Coach Manager, the development and implementation of umpire training and development programs, including the arrangement and hosting of seminars.
- Oversee the provision of operational and administrative guidance to the Umpire Coach Team.
- Liaising with Member Board Umpire Managers.
- Assist and advise the General Manager – Cricket in relation to all aspects of the use of technology in the umpires decision making process, including the conducting of any trials for the use of such technology.
- Assist the General Manager – Cricket in the appointment of referees to the Elite Panel.
- Oversee the appointment process of referees to matches.
- Manage the assessment and feedback process on the performance of referees.
- Manage in conjunction with the Chief Referee, the development and implementation of referee training and development programs, including the arranging and hosting of seminars.
- Determine and administer the annual budgets for the Umpires and Referees Department, corresponding to the above areas.
- Determine and administer umpire and referee contracts.
- In conjunction with the Data Information Manager develop, implement and maintain an appropriate match management online system.
- In conjunction with the Administration Manager oversee the provision of operational and administrative support to the umpires, referees and coaches appointed to international cricket including all travel, clothing, payment requirements, arrangements and processes.
- Compile reports for the General Manager – Cricket and relevant ICC committees on performances of umpires and referees in international cricket.
- Review and advise the General Manager – Cricket on all aspects of ICC regulations which pertain to the officiating of the game.
- Liaise across all other ICC departments on all aspects relating to officiating in international cricket.
- In conjunction with the MAC department, manage the public image of match officials through the media and other avenues.
Knowledge, Skills, Attitude and Experience
- 3+ years working in at least a senior managerial role in sports administration.
- Have excellent communication and one-to-one engagement skills.
- Strong understanding of the sporting match officiating landscape.
- Ability to trouble shoot and operate under pressure.
- Be able to build strong personal relationships.
- Have empathy for the demands on match officials in elite sport.
- Be well organized and be able to work independently and with colleagues.
- Result Orientation – the existence of a positive, ‘can-do’ mentality, anxious to find ways round obstacles and willing to exploit all of the available resources in order to accomplish objectives.
- Continuous Learning – commitment to continuing improvement and change by the application of self-managed learning techniques, supplemented where appropriate by deliberate, planned exposure to external learning sources (mentoring, coaching, etc.)
- Customer Focus – Concern for the perceptions of external & internal stakeholders.
- Communication – Excellent written and oral communication in English language including high level reports and business writing skills.
- Teamwork – Work collaboratively with others to achieve business objectives.
Conditions of Employment
- The role is based in our headquarters in Dubai, UAE.
- The selected candidate will be required to provide two recent work references.
- The compensation offered will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.