Photo Credit: Cricket Ireland
In 2022, the Irish Government provided an investment of €35 million to support sporting organisations located in the Republic of Ireland with the rising energy costs associated with the provision of sport e.g., indoor activity in winter, the provision of outdoor floodlighting etc.
To date €19m has been distributed to Sport Ireland recognised National Governing Bodies of Sport, provincial organisations, and their clubs.
A second round of the Scheme opened on May 10th and Provincial Unions and Clubs in the Republic of Ireland can now apply for:
(a) Any additional support required for increased energy costs from September 2022 to March 2023 compared to the same period in 2019/20
(b) Support towards the increased costs of energy for the months of April 2023 and May 2023.
• The Sports Energy Support Scheme (SESS) will contribute to the increased energy costs associated with providing sporting activity only.
Energy costs associated with non-sporting activity such as bars, restaurants etc. are not eligible under SESS; however, such trading activity may be eligible for support under the Government’s Temporary Business Energy Support Scheme (TBESS).
• The Eligibility period will relate to increased costs sustained between September 1st 2022 and May 31st 2023.
• Non-Energy related increases are ineligible. These include increased costs in accommodation, rent, rates or labour costs.
• Fuel costs associated with machinery, vehicles, travel or transport do not qualify.
• Pre-existing debts or deficits do not qualify.
• Organisations applying for support must own/lease the sporting facilities or be the primary utility bill payer.
• Support will be capped at a maximum of €90,000 (average of €10k per month) for any one club/facility.
THE SCHEME WILL NOT COVER:
• Private/Commercial gyms, pools & sports facilities (Private/commercial enterprises are eligible to apply for TBESS)
• Local authority facilities
• School or Third level sports facilities
PROCESS AND TIMELINES
Applications for support can be submitted via the link below:
The Closing Date for Applications from Club and PU’s to Cricket Ireland is Wednesday 24th May 2023 at 5pm.
• Cricket Ireland will collate applications and forward them to Sport Ireland by Friday 26th May.
• Sport Ireland will make an initial assessment on the level of requests.
• Depending on the level of submissions the outcome of those deliberations (that is the overall level of funding allocation to each NGB will be communicated to applicants in July 2023
• Subject to the approval and standard Terms and Conditions, the process of payment will begin shortly thereafter.
• Clubs in receipt of funding will need to be able to verify the request / increases and may be audited as per Sport Ireland terms and conditions.
For further information please contact Richard Fahey