Sri Lanka ramps up T20 World Cup security with elite units deployed for India-Pakistan clash

Amid regional tensions, Sri Lanka enhances safety protocols with top-level security forces and pledges neutrality ahead of the tournament’s most high-profile matchups.

Logos of ICC, BCCI, PCB, and the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026, highlighting the tournament hosted by India and Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka is taking no chances with security ahead of the 2026 ICC T20 World Cup, particularly around the high-stakes India-Pakistan fixture scheduled for February 15 in Colombo, according to a report by AFP. As co-host of the tournament, the island nation has announced significant security enhancements, deploying elite armed units typically reserved for heads of state — a move designed to ensure a smooth and incident-free event.

Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister Sunil Kumara Gamage told AFP late Wednesday that the government is giving the tournament the “highest priority” and “paying special attention to the India-Pakistan matches,” with security efforts being coordinated at the highest levels of the state.

Armed escorts for all teams throughout their stay

Elite commando units will be responsible for the protection of all participating teams during their time in Sri Lanka. These forces, typically assigned to high-level government dignitaries, will escort squads from their arrival through to their departure.

“From the time they step out of the airport till they return to their aircraft, they will be protected by armed guards,” an official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

The measure comes as part of a broader effort to guarantee the safety and neutrality of the tournament — especially amid ongoing geopolitical tensions in South Asia. Cricketing contests between India and Pakistan have long extended beyond the boundary ropes, often reflecting strained diplomatic ties. Last year’s four-day conflict between the two nuclear-armed neighbors has further heightened sensitivities around their meeting in Colombo.

Sri Lanka’s neutral position amid regional disputes

The decision to stage India-Pakistan matches in Sri Lanka stems from an agreement between the BCCI, PCB, and the ICC, aimed at avoiding direct cross-border travel. The hybrid model, which sees neutral venues hosting sensitive fixtures, has become the preferred compromise for such politically charged matchups.

But the geopolitical tensions have not been limited to India and Pakistan. Bangladesh, citing security concerns, requested that its matches be moved out of India — a request the ICC denied. In protest, Bangladesh pulled out of the tournament, prompting Scotland’s late inclusion as a replacement.

Despite being the host nation, Sri Lanka maintained a deliberate silence during the dispute. Cricket Secretary Bandula Dissanayake emphasized Colombo’s neutral stance in the matter.

“In these disputes among India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, we are remaining neutral, all of these are friendly nations,” Dissanayake told AFP.

Infrastructure upgrades ahead of the tournament

Beyond security, Sri Lanka has also used the World Cup as an opportunity to enhance its cricketing infrastructure. The Singhalese Sports Club in Colombo has received new floodlights, while venues like the Pallekele Stadium in Kandy have been confirmed as match-ready despite recent weather challenges. The Kandy ground is scheduled to host a T20I between Sri Lanka and England this week — a key test of the upgraded facilities.

With the tournament set to begin on February 7, Sri Lanka’s preparations reflect the dual demands of hosting top-tier cricket while navigating the complexities of regional politics. For now, the focus remains on delivering a safe, neutral, and successful World Cup — one where the contest on the field takes center stage.

,