About the job
The MD of the Professional Game will be an outstanding leader, with a proven track record in motivating and inspiring people and navigating a complex stakeholder landscape in order to unite people behind a compelling vision. The role will be responsible for growing and nurturing both men’s and women’s professional domestic cricket in line with the Inspiring Generations strategy, overseeing engagement with the First Class Counties and Women’s Regional Teams in order to drive the success and growth of all professional domestic competitions.
This role will also support the new Professional Game Committee (PGC), which has responsibility to provide strategic advice in relation to all professional domestic cricket. The PGC is a dedicated, decision-making sub-committee authorised by the ECB Board to lead, scrutinise and monitor strategy, policies, finances and performance relating to the administration, operation and commercialisation of professional domestic cricket.
WHO WE ARE
The England and Wales Cricket Board is the national governing body for all cricket in England and Wales, supporting the game at every level – from grassroots to professional.
We believe cricket is a force for good that can have an enduring impact on everyone’s lives and we have an ambitious strategy to inspire a generation to say ‘cricket is a game for me’. It provides great entertainment. It teaches important skills, both physical and social. It can help inclusion and social cohesion, bringing communities together.
The ECB welcomes applications from all backgrounds to ensure we deliver our Inspiring Generations strategy and fulfil our purpose to connect communities and improve lives through cricket.
- Stronger As One Team – We are stronger together. We allow for individual strengths and beliefs but head in the same direction. We respect, support and really listen to each other along the way.
- Push New Boundaries – We are bold, brave and curious. We challenge and don’t settle. We forge the future whilst remembering our roots.
- Be The Best In The Game – On & Off The Pitch – We train hard. We strive to be our best to help the team be the best. We celebrate our victories and learn from our let downs.
- Passion For Play – We are here to inspire & be inspired. We are serious about what we do, but don’t take ourselves seriously. We enjoy the journey and have fun.
YOU’LL LOVE THIS JOB IF
- You are driven by wanting to make a difference and strongly committed to developing the game of cricket in the UK.
- You are passionate about leading from the front and creating a sustainable future for the sport.
- You want to play a part in leading the game of cricket to becoming the most inclusive sport in the UK.
YOU’LL BE DOING
As a key member of the ECB Leadership Team, you will contribute to the future direction and success of the ECB on all business matters.
General Management Responsibilities & Strategic Direction
- Lead the strategy and thought processes required to grow the men’s and women’s professional domestic game, working with all stakeholders to deliver the majority consensus required.
- Facilitate discussions on the domestic structure for men’s and women’s domestic cricket that provides genuine purpose and a commercially sustainable future.
- Maximise the potential of large scale events such as major international series, The Hundred and ICC Global Events in order to grow engagement with the professional game.
- Work with the commercial and communications teams in order to deliver a marketing and communications plan that will promote and encourage greater engagement and support for the domestic professional game.
Professional Game Committee (PGC)
- Support the PGC, which has responsibility to provide strategic advice in relation to men’s and women’s professional cricket.
- Ensure that the PGC has input into wider game decisions which impact the professional game, working closely with First Class Counties and Women’s Regional Hosts to ensure engagement in all formats and competitions.
County & Regional Partnerships
- Lead a talented team to provide the network with strategic direction and support to enable them to deliver the Inspiring Generations strategy, working closely with the CEO, Board and senior executives across the ECB to ensure that the County Partnership Agreement (CPA) is embedded across the business.
- Ensure that there is an integrated approach to the delivery and implementation of the CPA throughout the First Class Counties and Women’s Regional Hosts within the gamewide Inspiring Generations framework.
- Oversee and manage the Partnership Review Process (PRP) across the First Class Counties and Women’s Regional Hosts in order to monitor and support compliance with the CPA Standards and to showcase best practice across the professional game.
- Promote best in class integration of both men’s and women’s cricket within the same club framework.
- Work with the ECB finance team to monitor financial plans and forecasts across the First Class Counties and support them in their pursuit of financial sustainability.
- Work collaboratively and transparently with stakeholders to build trust and to ensure that resources are efficiently utilised and ensures that cricket meets the needs of its local communities.
- Own relationships with all County Club Chairs and CEOs, and work with the ECB Chair and CEO on the planning and delivery of the AGM & Whole Game meeting each May and the FCC Assembly meetings throughout the year.
- Manage the relationship with the Professional Cricketers Association (PCA) on all matters relating to professional domestic cricket including the Player Working Group (PWG).
- Demonstrable experience developing and implementing a strategy with a strong understanding of the landscape of cricket, its challenges and opportunities, plus the vision and tenacity to implement it across a diverse range of stakeholders.
- A collaborative leadership style that enables the ECB team and stakeholders to work together to deliver the best outcomes for cricket.
- A professional background that includes:- business planning, strategic thinking, customer insight, marketing, financial budgeting, and general management responsibilities.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence and deliver an inspiring vision.
- Confidence in driving media engagement and public speaking.
- The ability to cut through and simplify complex problems with a collaborative and solution focused approach.
- Knowledge and understanding of the professional cricket environment.
YOU’LL RECEIVE (not exhaustive list)
- Competitive salary
- Holiday – 25 days a year
- Volunteering – 2 days a year
- Pension – Non-contributory 8% pension
- Private medical insurance
- Employee health cash-back plan
- Long-term sickness insurance
- Life assurance – four times your annual basic salary
- Enhanced maternity