Kotak quashes fallout rumours as Rohit and Kohli align with Gambhir on 2027 World Cup

India batting coach Sitanshu Kotak says the veteran duo remains fully engaged with team plans and management, while defending Ayush Badoni’s inclusion and outlining India’s ODI roadmap post-T20 World Cup.

Indian cricketers Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma in team jerseys with Gautam Gambhir in a circular frame above them, representing Indian cricket leadership and legacy.

Photo Credit: Instagram Photo of @gautamgambhir55

No rift, only planning: Kotak sets record straight on Ro-Ko-Gambhir equation

India’s batting coach Sitanshu Kotak has dismissed persistent social media speculation of a rift between Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, and head coach Gautam Gambhir, instead highlighting the trio’s active role in shaping India’s ODI blueprint for the 2027 World Cup.

Speaking at a pre-match press conference on Tuesday ahead of the second ODI against New Zealand in Rajkot, Kotak noted the high level of collaboration between the senior players and team management.

“In fact, they discuss with Gautam about ODIs, the matches we have, the plans going into South Africa (for the 2027 World Cup). They share their experience, and I always see them talking. There are a lot of positives,” he said.

Kohli and Rohit, now exclusively white-ball players at the international level, have faced scrutiny about their long-term roles — a debate only intensified after the pair opted out of Test cricket and the selectors offered little public clarity. However, Kotak emphasized that the duo is deeply invested in the team’s success and preparation.

Even as debates around their long-term ODI future persist, both Rohit and Kohli have remained remarkably consistent with the bat. In ODIs last year, Kohli amassed 651 runs in 13 matches at an average of 65.10, including three centuries and four fifties, with a top score of 135 and a strike rate over 96.

Rohit wasn’t far behind, scoring 650 runs in 14 innings at an average of 50.00 and a strike rate exceeding 100. He notched up two centuries and four half-centuries, with a best of 121 not out. Their numbers reflect not only form but fitness and intent — all signs pointing to a duo still capable of anchoring India’s ODI ambitions.

“Both of them are so senior and experienced, they definitely make plans, they want to practice at all the venues. If they feel they need to, they will go a couple of days in advance, and they practice. They know they are playing just one format and want the Indian team to win every time they play. They both are thorough professionals, not only in their batting, but with regard to plans on their fitness, needs, and what they need to do,” Kotak explained.

He added that the communication is visible and ongoing, contrasting online chatter with his first-hand experience inside the setup.

“Most of the time I’m there and if I’m listening, they definitely share the experience and I always see them talking. Obviously, in social media, you see a lot of things which I try to avoid seeing,” he said.

India braces for ODI evolution after T20 World Cup

With the T20 World Cup on the horizon, Kotak revealed that the team is already looking beyond it — particularly with the new ODI regulations set to come into play after the global event.

“After (the) T20 World Cup, I think there’ll definitely be more ODIs. We’ll have to set up one template as to how we play after this new rule of (having) 34 overs only have one ball,” Kotak noted.

He also pointed to the rapidly increasing scoring benchmarks in ODIs, especially in Indian conditions, as a factor in India’s evolving batting strategy.

“It’s still a huge difference between T20Is and ODIs. More or less every game is going over 300, particularly in India. We see more 300-plus scores and then (at times) you’re chasing as well,” he said.

Ayush Badoni’s call-up justified, says Kotak

With Washington Sundar ruled out due to a rib injury sustained in the first ODI, Ayush Badoni was drafted into the squad. Addressing questions about that selection, Kotak pointed to the young all-rounder’s utility and recent performances.

“He’s been performing and it’s (the) selectors who pick the team. If we had only five bowlers (in first ODI) and Washington got injured on fourth (or the) fifth over, then who would have bowled those overs?” he said.

“Somebody should be able to bowl four-five or (even) three-four overs, whatever (the situation) requires. I think that would be the reason (for his selection) and he has scored runs (and) he can bowl. He’s been performing in IPL also,” Kotak added.

When asked about Badoni’s underwhelming run in the recent Vijay Hazare Trophy, Kotak played it down.

“Our boys, (the) amount of cricket they play, I don’t think for any batter two (or) three innings would make any difference, and it shouldn’t,” he said.

New Zealand win second ODI as India falls short in Rajkot

In the second ODI, India posted a total of 284/7 in 50 overs, powered by KL Rahul’s unbeaten 112 and supporting knocks from Shubman Gill (56), Rohit Sharma (24), and Virat Kohli (23).

New Zealand responded with a commanding chase, reaching 286/3 with 15 balls to spare, thanks to Daryl Mitchell’s unbeaten 131 and Will Young’s 87, sealing a seven-wicket win.

The result sets up a decisive final match, but off the field, the message from Kotak is clear — India’s leadership group is unified, forward-looking, and fully focused on building toward 2027.

,