Michael Vaughan calls England selector delay ‘ridiculous’ as ECB nears final appointment stage

Former England Captain Michael Vaughan has criticised the ECB’s prolonged search for a new national selector, questioning why the role remains vacant months after Luke Wright’s departure was confirmed.

Michael Vaughan with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) logo representing England cricket.

Photo Credit: Instagram Photo of @michaelvaughan

England’s delayed appointment of a new national selector has drawn criticism from former Captain Michael Vaughan, who questioned why the ECB is still finalising the recruitment process despite Luke Wright’s departure being known for several months. Speaking on the Stick to Cricket podcast, Vaughan said the timing of the appointment made little sense with England approaching a major home summer and County Championship matches already well underway.

Wright announced on January 22 that he would step down from the position following the conclusion of the T20 World Cup in March, meaning the ECB has spent close to four months searching for a replacement ahead of England’s upcoming Test series against New Zealand.

Vaughan questions ECB timing

Vaughan criticised the delay surrounding the process as England prepare to announce their squad for the opening Test against New Zealand later this month.

Speaking on the Stick to Cricket podcast, Vaughan said: “It’s ridiculous how they’re announcing a selector so late.”

The former England opener argued the ECB had enough advance notice to begin the succession process earlier after Wright’s exit plans became clear during the Australia tour.

He added: “Luke Wright quit at the back end of Australia. We knew didn’t we?”

Vaughan also questioned why the incoming selector had not already been actively monitoring the domestic season, particularly with four rounds of County Championship cricket already completed.

“I wanted the selector there on 1 April, going out, having a look, gathering information,” he said.

He then closed his criticism by highlighting the length of the recruitment timeline.

“It’s a long time, four months, to find someone,” Vaughan added.

ECB reshapes England selection structure

As previously reported by cricexec, England recently entered the final interview stage after the ECB narrowed down an initial pool of around 80 applicants over recent weeks.

The ECB published the job advertisement for the selector role on March 18, with applications remaining open until April 17 as the board continued reshaping England’s men’s cricket structure following the Ashes review led by Chief Executive Richard Gould.

During the recruitment process, the ECB continued relying on its scouting network to monitor domestic performances while also introducing a new county insight group involving county coaches and senior officials as part of England’s wider talent identification setup.

Former England bowlers Steven Finn and Darren Gough have both been linked with the vacancy, while Durham Director of Cricket Marcus North has also reportedly been considered during the process. Former England Captain Sir Alastair Cook ruled himself out of contention earlier in the recruitment cycle.

New selector to play central role

The successful candidate is expected to work closely with Managing Director Rob Key, Head Coach Brendon McCullum and England’s leadership group across player identification, squad planning and scouting operations. Responsibilities attached to the role include involvement in senior squad selection, England Lions planning, coordination with counties and discussions around final XIs in both Test and white-ball cricket.

England’s squad for the first Test against New Zealand is expected to be announced in the coming weeks, leaving limited time for the new selector to influence the early decisions of the home summer.

,