Saturday, April 13, 2024

Cricket PNG: Assad Vala nominated for ICC Men’s Associate Player of the Decade

Must Read

Photo Credit: Cricket PNG

This edition of the ICC Awards celebrates top performances from 2010-2020

The International Cricket Council (ICC) is recognising the top performances of the last decade in cricket with the ICC Awards of the Decade, to be announced at a digital show next month.

Barramundis Captain, Assad Vala, has made the shortlist for ICC Men’s Associate Player of the Decade alongside nominees from Nepal, Netherlands and Scotland. This nomination recognises, Assad’s contribution to the Barramundis with nearly 1,200 runs and 47 wickets in 53 matches across ODI and T20I cricket.

Former West Indies player and current commentator, Ian Bishop conceded it was tough shortlisting candidates for the awards saying, “It is extremely challenging to shortlist any group of excellent players over an extended period. In making these choices we have tried to put context to performances, even as the different formats have evolved in pace and style in a 10-year period.”

Speaking of his nomination, National Head Coach Joe Dawes said, “Assad was spoken about as a class player when I first came into Associate cricket. In the 3 years I have been working with him, they are right – he is a world class batter, a genuine all-rounder, and continues to develop as a great leader on and off the field. I enjoy working with him and I am excited about where he is taking this team!”

When news of captain’s nomination broke on social media, supporters were quick to congratulate the captain for his outstanding contribution as a “champion player” and “ambassador” for cricket in Papua New Guinea.

Cricket PNG CEO Greg Campbell said, “There is a lot of excitement at Cricket Haus after hearing of the nomination. This is great recognition for Assad for all he has done for PNG cricket for a long-time, both on and off the field. Unfortunately, the T20 World Cup did not go ahead his year, so this nomination is a great way to wrap up the year, for all CPNG staff, PNG cricket fans and for Assad himself.”

“For the first time the fans’ voice will be heard in selecting the winners across categories including the Sir Garfield Sobers and Rachael Heyhoe Flint Awards, which celebrate the best overall player from the men’s and women’s game over the past decade. The fan vote will make up 10% of the voting, while votes from an expert panel will make up the remaining 90%.” 

“Voting closes at 22:30 hours GST on Wednesday 16th December. Fans can register on our website icc-cricket.com/awards and vote for those shortlisted by an Awards Nominations Committee, based on performances during the period 1st January 2011 to 7th October 2020,” said the ICC media release.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

become a cricexec insider!

Join for free and get:

  • The cricexec “daily briefing” newsletter
  • Exclusive industry reports
  • Invitations to industry events
  • Early access to industry job postings
  • Many other benefits!

Latest News

PCA: Women’s players seek assurances over equitable future

Photo Credit: Professional Cricketers' Association PCA conduct pre-season meetings with all eight women’s regions  Research gathered across equity priorities...

More Articles Like This

Cricexec Newsletter