New Zealand Cricket has recorded an expected NZ$7.3 million (approx. US$4.38 million) deficit for the financial year ended July 31, 2026, significantly widening from the NZ$1.8 million (approx. US$1.08 million) shortfall originally budgeted and triggering an internal financial review alongside proposed cost reductions across the domestic game.
The NZ$5.5 million (approx. US$3.3 million) gap between the two figures was driven primarily by revenue from a multi-year domestic broadcast agreement being included in the FY26 budget despite having already been received in previous financial years. Reduced income following changes to NZC’s partnership with Dream11, triggered by changes to India’s gambling laws, and higher overall costs also contributed to the result.
Allott takes responsibility for budgeting error
New Zealand Cricket CEO Geoff Allott addressed the circumstances behind the deficit during an interview with Sport Nation’s Millsy & Guy. He said: “Largely, it’s through some budgeting errors at our end, which we’ve got to put our hand up and own as an organisation.”
The accounting issue was identified as NZC worked through the closing of its accounts. Crucially, the broadcast money underpinning the budget discrepancy had already been received by the governing body rather than representing revenue that had disappeared.
Allott added: “It’s not lost revenue from New Zealand Cricket. We received all those monies. It’s just that they were accounted for in a different period.”
The NZ$7.3 million (approx. US$4.38 million) figure remains subject to NZC’s annual audit, which is expected to be completed in early November and includes a transition to GAAP-compliant Public Benefit Entity financial reporting. The final result could therefore differ from the current figure.
Assessing the scale of the financial setback, Allott noted: “It’s not ideal, as I say, but it’s not a disaster.”
NZC has nevertheless acknowledged that its financial performance requires action. Allott said in an NZC statement: “As an organisation we accept that this financial performance isn’t good enough, nor is it sustainable.”
Super Smash broadcast schedule faces reduction
The response has included a full review of NZC’s internal financial processes and a reassessment of budgets for the coming financial year. The Super Smash is among the areas facing changes as the governing body looks to reduce costs.
Following consultation with the Major Associations and New Zealand Cricket Players Association, NZC has proposed broadcasting 24 of the competition’s 64 matches during its final season under the existing arrangement. Those games would be spread across 12 double-header match-days, including the finals, during the traditional December-January window.
NZC is also holding discussions aimed at keeping the proposed 24 televised matches available free-to-air in New Zealand following the end of TVNZ’s broadcast rights agreement last season.
Allott stated: “The loss of Super Smash title sponsor Dream11, coupled with the FY26 budget deficit, meant this was the most financially responsible decision for the competition.”
The full Super Smash schedule is expected to be released next month.
India tour set to drive financial rebound
NZC expects its financial position to change substantially in the coming year, with the inbound India men’s tour providing a major increase in broadcast and commercial income.
Allott said in the NZC statement: “Thankfully, the coming financial year is set to be more prosperous, with net projections forecasting a surplus in excess of $10m, driven largely by the broadcast and commercial revenue generated by the in-bound tour by India.”
The governing body is considering that expected improvement within a longer financial cycle rather than treating one lucrative summer as a permanent change in its revenue base.
He added: “That being said, we are acutely aware that as a business our financial model over a four-year cycle is typically lumpy, so we need to be prudent to ensure the long-term sustainability of cricket.”
Allott also discussed the need to make the financial benefit generated by India’s visit support New Zealand cricket over the following four to five years, alongside issues including exchange rates, future revenue opportunities and the sport’s reliance on India.
NZ20 viewed as longer-term opportunity
Beyond the immediate response to the FY26 deficit, NZC is considering how its domestic cricket model could become more financially sustainable in the future.
Returning to the longer-term domestic outlook during his interview with Sport Nation’s Millsy & Guy, Allott said: “A competition like NZ20 can materially, positively impact both New Zealand Cricket and, in fact, cricket in New Zealand.”
The proposed changes come as NZC seeks to manage the immediate consequences of its FY26 financial position without making reactive decisions around high-performance programmes, players and the wider cricket network. With the audit still to be completed and the Super Smash broadcast plan under discussion, the governing body is simultaneously preparing for an India tour expected to move its financial position back into surplus.
