The rhetoric around Pakistan’s participation in the 2026 T20 World Cup has grown louder in recent days, but behind the scenes, preparations appear to be moving in a very different direction. Despite public warnings of a potential boycott, logistical arrangements quietly signal that Pakistan’s presence at the tournament is increasingly likely.
Squad announced
The tournament is set to begin on February 7 with India and Sri Lanka as co-hosts. Pakistan’s leadership had floated the idea of withdrawing in protest after Bangladesh were removed from the event following a dispute over match venues. Tensions escalated between the Pakistan Cricket Board and the International Cricket Council, with PCB chairman Mohsin Naqvi accusing the ICC of double standards after rejecting Bangladesh’s request to shift matches away from India due to security concerns. Pakistan publicly aligned itself with Bangladesh, even suggesting it could forfeit its match against India if the issue was not resolved.
Earlier this week, however, Pakistan announced its World Cup Squad which – despite being a provisional step – seemed signal its participation.
World Cup uncertainty meets Colombo flight bookings
While the public narrative has focused on threats and deadlines, a contrasting picture has emerged from within Pakistan’s camp. According to a Telecom Asia Sport exclusive, Pakistan are already booked to fly out to Colombo on Monday, alongside the Australian team, despite the ongoing uncertainty over official confirmation.
“Despite the uncertainty over the participation on the World Cup, Pakistan team is booked with Australia team to fly out to Colombo via Air Lanka flight from Lahore. We hope that by Friday the PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi will have cleared the team’s participation in the mega event,” a source told Telecom Asia Sport.
The planned travel timeline suggests that operational planning has continued in parallel with political posturing, reinforcing the view that a complete withdrawal remains unlikely.
Consultations at the highest level inside Pakistan
Behind closed doors, Naqvi has been engaged in a series of high-level consultations as the PCB weighs its next move. The decision-making process has extended well beyond cricket administrators, involving political leadership and former board officials.
“Naqvi also took advice from President Asif Zardari and from military establishment before meeting two former PCB chairmen Najam Sethi and Ramiz Raja who were also in support of sending the team to Sri Lanka. They have also advices not to boycott the India game,” a source said.
These discussions underline the financial and diplomatic stakes involved, with a boycott potentially exposing Pakistan to ICC sanctions, significant revenue losses, and even repercussions in future Asia Cup participation.
Players told to stay ready as series with Australia begins
Amid the uncertainty at board level, Pakistan’s players have been instructed to remain focused on cricketing commitments. The team is scheduled to play a three-match T20I series against Australia starting in Lahore, even as preparations for an extended overseas tour continue.
“All the players have been told that they must remain in positive mood as far as participation in the World Cup is concerned. Some of the players from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have brought all their luggage from home keeping in mind that they will be out of the country for more than a month,” a source added.
With flights booked, luggage packed, and internal advice leaning against a boycott, the gap between Pakistan’s public threats and private preparations continues to narrow.