Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Hybrid)
Posted: 17 February 2023
Link to Apply: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3481018946/
About the job
Head of Legal – Media Rights, Broadcast & Digital
Working for Cricket Australia means that you become a part of Australia’s proud history and help us look toward the future as we seek to drive bold, transformative change in digital experiences, junior participation, culturally diverse inclusion, gender equality and sustainability, re-imagine the W/BBL, build player connection through storytelling and play our part in developing the game globally.
Our purpose is clear; to unite and inspire everyone to love and play cricket. Cricket is so much more than just a game; it brings people together and binds us all through our shared experiences.
This is your opportunity to join a purpose led organisation that truly makes a difference to Australians.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a result of an internal promotion, we are looking for a new Head of Legal – Media Rights, Broadcast & Digital within our Legal team. The role is responsible for managing the provision of legal support and advice to the Media Rights, Broadcast & Digital teams, including supporting the development and execution of a global media rights strategy, managing the legal and regulatory environment in relation to broadcast and digital media, and providing legal support and advice on potential new technology platforms and products. This role will also mentor and develop our lawyers, including managing workload, priorities and deliverables.
If you consider yourself an adaptable leader who “knows their stuff” and has commercial nous, we want to hear from you. You will be a part of the key revenue generating part of our business that enables the bold, transformative change underpinning our strategy.
Reporting to the General Manager – Legal, you’ll be responsible for:
- Supporting the development and execution of a global media rights strategy comprising both traditional and new revenue streams
- Leading the preparation, construction, negotiation and documentation of major Australian and International media rights deals from a legal perspective
- Ensuring compliance with media rights agreements, including liaising with relevant CA departments and providing legal assistance with regard to:
– ensuring obligations are met under media rights agreements
– availability of rights prior to entering into new media rights arrangements
- Managing industry regulatory broadcast and media rights issues, including strong understanding of all regulatory related matters, managing CA responses and recommendations
- Managing the provision of business legal support to the Media Rights, Broadcast and Digital teams, for example in relation to all aspects of:
– media rights deals, production and licence agreements
– broadcast related documentation
– program/content commission and distribution agreements
– potential new platforms and products
– copyright infringements and fair dealing
– digital product development and support
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Admission to practice as an Australian lawyer with 8+ years post qualification experience in a law firm or in-house
- Significant experience in drafting and negotiating high value media or commercial agreements
- A team player with experience leading, supervising, mentoring and developing a team
- Strong leadership, collaboration and creative thinking skills
- Outstanding stakeholder management skills and ability to build positive working relationships and flex style
- Ability to frame and present clear oral and written communication and influencing skills
- Strategic thinker with the ability to distil complex issues down into simple messages
- Excellent analytical and drafting skills
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Strong commercial awareness and judgement, with the ability to balance both legal and commercial outcomes
- Ability to adapt and respond to challenges in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Positive attitude and both a legal team and CA champion
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
Our employees at Cricket are gifted an additional week leave at the end of season! As a CA employee, you will also have other benefits including:
- Tickets to the Cricket for you to take your friends and family and experience Australia’s favourite game!
- A flexible working environment, meaning we strike the balance of what you need and what works for the business (this isn’t limited to remotely working)
- Discounts from our partners such as Asics and salary packaging options
- A multitude of leave types including paid parental leave and volunteer leave
THE IMPORTANT STUFF
Cricket is a sport for all Australians and our workplace reflects that. We recognise our differences are our strength and a diverse and inclusive workforce is fundamental to our success. We strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people of colour, women, LGBTIQ+ people, people with diverse religious beliefs and people with a disability to apply.
Australian Cricket, including Cricket Australia, is committed to being a child safe organisation and requires all team members to hold a valid Working with Children Check.
If you need assistance or adjustments to fully participate in the application process, please contact email@example.com
Please submit your application via the link by 5pm Friday, 3 March.
In the meantime, follow us on our socials via Instagram @cricketaustralia, via Twitter @cricketaus and via our website https://www.cricketaustralia.com.au/