Photo Credit: Cricket South Africa
Six Gun Grill Garden Route Badgers spin bowling hero, Sean Whitehead, won the prestigious Garden Route Badgers Player of the Season Award at their Annual Awards Ceremony that was held at De Opstal Country Estate on Saturday evening. Momentum Proteas Women batting hero, Tazmin Brits, who excelled for the Proteas women’s team at the ICC T20 Cricket World Cup – that was hosted in South Africa during February this year – and was a star player for the successful Six Grill Garden Route Badgers women’s team in the CSA Top 6 Women’s competition won the SWD Women’s player of the Season award.
Whitehead, who won the award for the second consecutive season, was the Badgers most successful and versatile performer in the Division 2 Cricket South Africa in both the four day and one-day formats. Due to playing commitments in the UK he could not attend the event. Brits, who excelled in the T20 World Cup, was also selected in the ICC team of the tournament.
The Women’s team of Union Stars who won the Cricket SA National T20 Club champions won the Award as Provincial representative team of the season. The team also received the Simon Swigelaar Floating Trophy for their outstanding achievements.
Special Merit Awards were awarded to:
- Mariana Breedt (Outeniqua High School) who was selected for the SA Schools Fillies Girls’/19 team, umpire Kerrin Klaaste who was appointed to officiate in the ICC Women’s u/19 World Cup appointed on the ICC Development panel and who officiated in the Varsity Cup final and officiated in the Legends League Masters in Doh, Qatar. Klaaste also received the Cricket SA National Umpire Certificate.
- André Olivier who officiated as a CSA Panel umpire (Reserve List)
- Gary Moos who were appointed as venue manager for the ICC T20 u/19 World Cup that was presented in South Africa
- Annerie Dercksen and Tazmin Brits who was selected for the Momentum Proteas Women’s team that participated in ICC T20 World Cup that was presented in South Africa during February 2023.
The following employees completed their tertiary studies:
- Certificate in Labour Dispute Resolution Practise (University of Stellenbosch): Albertus Kennedy
- Short Course in Occupational Health and Safety (University of Cape Town): Zenobia Nel
- Advanced Certificate in Sport-, Recreation And Fitness Management (ETA: Gary Moos and Pieter Stuurman
- Higher Certificate in Fitness (ETA): Anver Venter
Several members who were involved in various capacities within the SWD Cricket structures who passed away during the past year were honored with a Roll of Honor Award. They were Matthews Louis Willem Carstens: Contractor that built the pitch at the REC Ground in 2003, Faizel Samsoodien: Former CSA panel umpire, Henry Murphy: Former chairman of Calitzdorp Young Stars CC, Jan Abraham Meyer: former newspaper reporter of the George Herald and recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from SWD Cricket and Charles Phillip Carelse former SWDC umpire.
Clive Pretorius, who was the founder member from Heidelberg United Cricket Club and served the club for more than 20 years and dutiful report for the Suid-Kaap Forum on cricket activities in the Hessequa region received the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Franco Geldenhuys (Pacaltsdorp United CC), for his versatile performances was the Premier League player of the season, Dean Lewis (Telesto Ramblers CC) won the award for the Promotion League Division 1 and JD Bester (Hartenbos CC) for Promotion League Division 2. Roual de Reuck who excelled with both bat and ball for Pacaltsdorp B won the award as Reserve League Player of the Season, Sean Whitehead (Knysna Cavaliers) the T20 player of the season and Miceala Andrews (Union Stars) – who scored the most runs in the Women’s League and taking the third most wickets – received the Award as Women’s Player of the Season. Zoë Meyers (from Pacaltsdorp United CC) was the Women’s Division 2 T20 league player of the season.
Thurstin Murphy (High Schools Player of the Season), Mariana Breedt (Girl’s Player of the Season), Javier Philander (SWD Scorer of the Season), Hennie Pietersen (SWD Umpire of the Season) and Angelo Buch (from Melkhoutfontein CC – the Club Groundsman of the Season) was the winners of the Fair Play Award and Pacaltsdorp United won the SWDC Operational Excellence Award.
Other achievements that were recognized are:
- Most Runs in u/15 Promotion League: Stefan Schoeman (York High)
- Most Runs in u/15 Super League: Daniël du Plessis (Outeniqua High)
- Most Runs in u/19 Promotion League: Ijan du Preez (Outeniqua Hub)
- Most Runs in u/19 Super League: Migeal Groenewald (Outeniqua High)
- Most Wickets in u/15 Promotion League: Unathi Khitshini (Thembalethu Hub)
- Most Wickets in u/15 Super League: Wernich Cassel (Outeniqua High)
- Most Wickets in u/19 Promotion League: Ethan John Vaas (Outeniqua High)
- Most Wickets in u/19 Super League: Enathi Khitshini (Thembalethu Hub)
- Batter of the Season: Women Twenty20 League: Bianca Figeland (Pacaltsdorp United CC)
- Bowler of the Season: Women Twenty20 League: Zoë Meyer (Pacaltsdorp United CC)
- Batsman of the Season: Twenty20 League: Jean Heunis (Union Stars CC)
- Bowler of the Season: Twenty20 League: Ricardo Majola (Pacaltsdorp United CC)
- Batter of the Season: Women League: Miceala Andrews (Union Stars CC)
- Bowler of the Season: Women League: Haroline Rhodes (Union Stars CC)
- Batsman of the Season: Reserve League: Hannes van Niekerk (George CC)
- Bowler of the Season: Reserve League: Roual de Reuck (Pacaltsdorp United CC)
- Batsman of the Season: Promotion League Division 2: JD Bester (Hartenbos CC)
- Bowler of the Season: Promotion League Division 2: Ronald Adams (Ladismith CC)
- Batsman of the Season: Promotion League Division 1: Dean Lewis (Telesto Ramblers CC)
- Bowler of the Season: Promotion League Division 1: Dean Lewis (Telesto Ramblers CC)
- Batsmen of the Season: Premier League: Mark Andrianatos (George CC)
- Bowler of the Season: Premier League: Francois Bonthuys (Knysna Cavaliers CC)
The respective league and club winners also received their trophies. They were:
- u/15 Promotion League: Outeniqua u/15B
- u/15 Super League: Outeniqua
- u/19 Promotion League: Outeniqa u/19B
- u/19 Super League: Outeniqua
- Women’s League Division 1 Winners: Union Stars
- Women Division 2 T20: Pacaltsdorp United
- Reserve League Winners: Pacaltsdorp United ‘B’
- Promotion League Division 2 Winners: Hartenbos
- Promotion League Division 1 Winners: United Stars ‘C’
- T20 Knock-Out Competition: Knysna Cavaliers
- Premier League Winners (Petersen Trophy): Pacaltsdorp United