About the job
The Performance Director, England Men will inspire and drive a world-leading performance culture. They will work with the Managing Director – England Men’s Cricket, England Head Coaches, Selectors, Head of Performance Science and Medicine and County Directors of Cricket to ensure that all of our programmes are helping us deliver successful, respected and inspiring England players and teams.
This is a strategic leadership role with responsibility for ensuring effective collaboration with partners and driving performance innovation.
HOW TO APPLY
The ECB will be supported in this appointment by executive search firm SRI. For an initial confidential discussion about this role please contact email@example.com or view the full candidate brief here: PD
WHO WE ARE
The England and Wales Cricket Board is the national governing body for all cricket in England and Wales, supporting the game at every level – from grassroots to professional.
We believe cricket is a force for good that can have an enduring impact on everyone’s lives and we have an ambitious strategy to inspire a generation to say ‘cricket is a game for me’. It provides great entertainment. It teaches important skills, both physical and social. It can help inclusion and social cohesion, bringing communities together.
The ECB welcomes applications from all backgrounds to ensure we deliver our Inspiring Generations strategy and fulfil our purpose to connect communities and improve lives through cricket.
STRONGER AS ONE TEAM
We are stronger together. We allow for individual strengths and beliefs, but head in the same direction. We respect, support, and really listen to each other along the way
PUSH NEW BOUNDARIES
We are bold, brave and curious. We challenge and don’t settle. We forge the future whist remembering our roots.
BE THE BEST IN THE GAME – ON & OFF THE PITCH
We train hard. We strive to be our best to help the team be the best. We celebrate our victories and learn from our let downs.
PASSION FOR PLAY
We are here to inspire and be inspired. We are serious about what we do, but don’t take ourselves seriously. We enjoy the journey and have fun.
PERFORMANCE DIRECTOR, ENGLAND MEN – RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the international pathway functions and drive collaboration between the ECB and Counties to ensure the best young Men’s players are able to successfully bridge the gap between county and international cricket and are fully prepared from a technical, tactical, physical and mental perspective.
- Oversee the talent ID and development processes to ensure that we are identifying and developing the right players for our England teams and programmes.
- Direct the development and delivery of fully individualised player programmes and personal development plans for our England, Lions, Young Lions and other targeted cricketers.
- Establish and deliver summer and winter programmes that support the development of our players and teams.
- Influence department strategy through close collaboration with the MD – England Men’s Cricket.
- Manage international pathway staff across talent ID, talent development and performance science and medicine functions.
- Manage the roles and responsibilities of ECB’s Elite coaches and liaise with the MD – England Men’s Cricket and England Head Coaches on the requirements of the England Men’s Team.
- Lead and oversee the ECB Performance Centre staff and activities, including its use by county clubs.
- Ensure the delivery of world leading programmes at Young Lions and Lions levels.
- Support the MD – England Men’s cricket with department culture, long-term business planning, England selection, departmental staffing & succession planning.
- Work with the Head of Coach development to ensure that our pipeline of coaches are provided with the best personal development support.
- Work with the Head of Performance Science and Medicine on delivering a joined up and professional approach for all of our players and programmes.
- Work with counties to ensure that player programmes are truly individualised and bespoke.
PERSON SPECIFICATION (REQUIRED)
This role will require inspirational leadership and strategic clarity to ensure genuine collaboration and partnership.
The Performance Director, England Men will continually drive colleagues and partners to create a world-class performance environment.
- Experience of leading a high performing team in an elite sport environment.
- Proven track record of leading elite programmes domestically and/or overseas.
- Experience of developing effective working relationships between different organisations working towards a common goal.
- Experience of creating and successfully implementing a long-term strategy in an elite sport environment.
- Proven ability to articulate a strategic vision, ensuring consistent delivery and review.
- Experience of reviewing a complex and interdependent environment and creating clarity of purpose.
- Knowledge of elite-level sporting environments and culture
- Expert in one (or more) of the key functional areas (talent ID and talent development; performance science and medicine; coaching)
- Knowledge of domestic and international cricket is preferable but not essential.
- Experience of communicating technical and complex information with the ability to present in a simple and concise way to a broad and diverse range of colleagues and stakeholders.
- Experience of communicating with the media.
The ECB has its HQ at Lord’s Cricket ground in London with the ECB’s Performance Centre based in Loughborough.
- Significant amount of time will be spent working collaboratively with colleagues at both locations as well as travelling widely throughout England and Wales, and overseas.