The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) could be heading towards a significant reshaping of its cricket leadership, with decisions approaching over Ajit Agarkar’s future and separate plans involving former India greats Zaheer Khan and VVS Laxman.
BCCI office-bearers are expected to meet Agarkar after India’s two-Test series against Sri Lanka to discuss a possible one-year extension, according to a report by The Indian Express. The Chairman of the Senior Men’s Selection Committee will complete three years in the position in September and is eligible for a fourth year under the Board’s rules.
The uncertainty has also brought potential alternatives into consideration. According to The Telegraph, Zaheer is being discussed as a possible replacement if Agarkar does not retain his position and Laxman becomes Director of Cricket. Laxman had previously been considered for the selection role but is reportedly unwilling to take on a position requiring extensive travel.
A different plan could instead expand Laxman’s authority across the BCCI’s cricket operations. NDTV Sports reported that the Board is set to extend his contract at the Centre of Excellence (CoE) by two years and give him the new designation of Director of Cricket, while retaining his existing responsibilities.
Rohit Sharma issue adds to Agarkar uncertainty
The approaching discussion over Agarkar comes against the backdrop of reported differences between the selection committee and the BCCI over Rohit Sharma’s ODI future.
The selectors had reportedly indicated during India’s tour of England that they were looking beyond Rohit in the lead-up to the 2027 ODI World Cup. The Board, however, is understood to favour evaluating his position from series to series rather than reaching a longer-term conclusion at this stage.
BCCI Secretary Devajit Saikia told PTI in July: “I want to firmly assert that there has been no such discussion that Rohit will be playing his last match at Lord’s on Sunday. Rohit is a regular member of the Indian ODI team and he will continue to represent the country as long as he is in the scheme of things. In other words, Lord’s ODI won’t be his last match.”
Rohit had scores of 11 and 26 in the opening two ODIs against England before making 138 at Lord’s in the third match. India lost the game by 27 runs and the series 2-1, but the century came amid the uncertainty surrounding his place in the 50-over side.
Former India Head Coach Ravi Shastri, speaking on Sky Sports at the time, said: “He didn’t need to do so, but he shut up everybody, because when you get those kinds of rumours floating around, it’s sometimes irritating. When a player has done that much, you don’t have to prove anything to anyone.”
Shastri added: “If he has the desire to play and work hard at his game and he’s still enjoying it, I think he should be given the opportunity for as long as he wants. The day will come when he’ll feel that he’ll go, but when you have that kind of quality, you’re thinking of dropping him and then he produces anything like this – first time ever, it was a special innings.”
Zaheer enters the selection picture
Zaheer’s emergence provides the BCCI with another potential option should it ultimately decide against extending Agarkar’s tenure.
The former India Fast Bowler played 92 Tests and has since gained experience working with multiple Indian Premier League franchises, as well as contributing his expertise at the CoE.
Agarkar, however, remains eligible for another year, and his future has not yet been decided. The planned post-Sri Lanka meeting gives the Board an opportunity to determine whether he will continue as India moves closer to the 2027 ODI World Cup.
Laxman could take broader control of cricket operations
The proposed Director of Cricket position would give Laxman a considerably wider remit than his existing CoE responsibilities.
He currently oversees areas including junior teams, player rehabilitation and development pathways across the men’s and women’s game. Under the proposed structure, staff appointments would also fall within his responsibilities, connecting his CoE work more closely with the senior national setup.
The revised role would place Laxman above India Head Coach Gautam Gambhir and the Chairman of Selectors within the cricket structure. However, the proposed change would not itself put the immediate positions of Gambhir or Agarkar at risk, according to NDTV Sports.
Laxman has remained involved with India’s national teams alongside his CoE duties, including serving as an interim coach when the regular coaching setup has been unavailable. A Director of Cricket appointment would formalise a broader leadership function spanning development, selection and the senior-team structure.
With Agarkar’s tenure approaching its next decision point, the different personnel discussions are increasingly connected. The BCCI’s eventual choices could determine whether the existing selection leadership continues, whether Zaheer enters the setup, and how a new overarching role for Laxman fits into the Board’s cricket operations ahead of the 2027 ODI World Cup.
