About the job
The MD Recreational Game will be an outstanding leader, with a proven track record in motivating and inspiring people and navigating a complex stakeholder landscape to unite people behind a compelling vision. We recognise the social impact cricket can have by creating inclusive recreational cricket communities with diverse playing and volunteering populations. Looking to the future of cricket through our recreational opportunities and pathways will be key to sustaining the sport.
The Managing Director Recreational Game will enable commercial and growth opportunities across a vibrant, modern recreational game to create new revenue streams for cricket. The role holder will also own and manage the working relationship with Sport England in order to ensure continued support and a collaborative working relationship, in association with the ECB CEO and Chair.
WHO WE ARE
The England and Wales Cricket Board is the national governing body for all cricket in England and Wales, supporting the game at every level – from grassroots to professional.
We believe cricket is a force for good that can have an enduring impact on everyone’s lives and we have an ambitious strategy to inspire a generation to say ‘cricket is a game for me’. It provides great entertainment. It teaches important skills, both physical and social. It can help inclusion and social cohesion, bringing communities together.
The ECB welcomes applications from all backgrounds to ensure we deliver our Inspiring Generations strategy and fulfil our purpose to connect communities and improve lives through cricket.
- Stronger As One Team – We are stronger together. We allow for individual strengths and beliefs but head in the same direction. We respect, support and really listen to each other along the way.
- Push New Boundaries – We are bold, brave and curious. We challenge and don’t settle. We forge the future whilst remembering our roots.
- Be The Best In The Game – On & Off The Pitch – We train hard. We strive to be our best to help the team be the best. We celebrate our victories and learn from our let downs.
- Passion For Play – We are here to inspire & be inspired. We are serious about what we do, but don’t take ourselves seriously. We enjoy the journey and have fun.
YOU’LL LOVE THIS JOB IF
- You are driven by wanting to make a difference.
- You are passionate about leading from the front and creating a sustainable future for the sport.
- You want to play a part in leading the game of cricket to becoming the most inclusive sport in the UK.
YOU’LL BE DOING
- Be a member of the ECB Leadership Group to ensure an integrated approach to the delivery of the Participation & Growth Strategy within the game-wide Inspiring Generations framework.
- Supporting the new Recreational Game Committee (RGC), which has responsibility to provide strategic advisory responsibility in relation to recreational cricket.
- Ensuring the RGC has input into wider game decisions which impact the recreational game, such as safeguarding, talent pathways, and other standards and matters as they relate to the recreational game.
- Leading a talented management team to provide the network with strategic direction and support to enable them to deliver the Inspiring Generations strategy locally.
- Nurturing relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders across the game including County Cricket Board Chairs/Lead Executives, First Class County Club CEOs, Sport England/Sport Wales/DCMS, Youth Sport Trust, Association of Cricket Officials, and cricket’s charities including Chance to Shine, Lord’s Taverners, ACE and MCC Foundation.
- Working collaboratively and transparently with stakeholders to build trust and to ensure that resources are efficiently utilised and ensures that cricket meets the needs of its local communities.
- Maximising large scale events such as The Hundred and global events to grow participation in the game.
- Working with the members of RGC to formalise the ‘Recreational Assembly’.
- Demonstrable experience in delivering a sports participation strategy (or similar in another sector), and the vision and tenacity to implement it across a diverse range of stakeholders.
- A collaborative leadership style that enables the ECB team and stakeholders to work together to deliver the best outcomes for cricket.
- Experience of how to challenge the status quo to grow sport (or a similar sector), despite complexities and historical barriers.
- A passion for the impact that community sport can have on peoples’ lives.
- A professional background that includes: business planning, strategic thinking, customer insight, marketing, financial budgeting, and general management responsibilities.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence and deliver an inspiring vision.
- Demonstrable experience of how to establish, maintain, and positively leverage effective stakeholder relationships.
- Confidence in driving media engagement and public speaking.
YOU’LL RECEIVE (not exhaustive list)
- Competitive salary
- Holiday – 25 days a year
- Volunteering – 2 days a year
- Pension – Non-contributory 8% pension
- Private medical insurance
- Employee health cash-back plan
- Long-term sickness insurance
- Life assurance – four times your annual basic salary
- Enhanced maternity